Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Series 5......Horrified!


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Date: Oct 23 10:13 AM, 2018
RE: Series 5......Horrified!
Permalink  
 


Mrs Enys wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I shall not be watching and i think its a great betrayal of Winston Graham that his son has agreed this. WG returned to write more of the saga after twenty years in the real world and chose to pick up the reins only a few months after Warleggen had finished but after The Angry Tide he chose to leave a gap of ten years. This , to me, shows his deliberate  intention. I think he would be furious that another writer was going to continue a story with his characters that he had not sanctioned. My other concern is that if DH invents new characters and storylines, will this not pull WGS story out of sync if the TV adaptation does return to dramatise the remaining books? its all about cashing in on the popularity of Aidan Turner , shame on all of them!


Thanks Mrs Enys, it does feel like this about more than the books themselves. I also worry that whatever is introduced in this series will affect future storylines.

These books are already the best, they cannot be made better!



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date: Oct 16 9:25 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

I agree wholeheartedly. I shall not be watching and i think its a great betrayal of Winston Graham that his son has agreed this. WG returned to write more of the saga after twenty years in the real world and chose to pick up the reins only a few months after Warleggen had finished but after The Angry Tide he chose to leave a gap of ten years. This , to me, shows his deliberate  intention. I think he would be furious that another writer was going to continue a story with his characters that he had not sanctioned. My other concern is that if DH invents new characters and storylines, will this not pull WGS story out of sync if the TV adaptation does return to dramatise the remaining books? its all about cashing in on the popularity of Aidan Turner , shame on all of them!



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Date: Oct 2 3:13 PM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far to this discussion, it's good to know that I am not alone in my reservations.

On other forms for social media, many people seem of the opinion that DH has done a good enough job so far to deserve the right to create series five. No disrespect, but if it also true that Winston's son Andrew has given the decision his approval, I am disappointed. His father's work should not be messed around with, however good a job DH has done so far.

I too will be shouting from the rooftops that series five was not adapted from the work of Winston Graham.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 569
Date: Sep 30 2:36 PM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Mrs Gimlett wrote:

I have neither read nor heard anything about series 5, other than what is below.

However, if that is correct, I shudder to think what enormities will be committed in the name of Poldark.  WG obviously wanted to move the narrative on so he could develop the younger characters, including in book 8 sufficient hints and anecdotal snippets for the reader to know that the last several years for R&D have been calm, loving and full of normal family life.

For DH to be allowed carte blanche to invent material (her previous off-piste storylines never rang true to period) to cover that 10 year gap seems a dereliction of loyalty to WG.

What will be achieved?  If this is to be the final series, how can there be any satisfactory conclusion?  At the beginning of TSFTS, the Poldark children are just setting out on their life journeys and it sounds as though nothing will be known of how they develop.  Will the last episode end with them all gazing out to sea?  I cannot see how anything could be concluded and we all know how these days, series are meant to have 'an ending'.

There seems no possible reason to fill that gap with an entire series. It would surely have been far better to have ended with Elizabeth's death.  Like so much on TV these days, though, someone comes up with a really good short series, it is well received and then the powers that be go on flogging it to death with ever more weak and unnecessary episodes.

Of course, if the thing had been done more sympathetically and had gone at a more measured pace, we would scarcely have reached book 5 by now!

 


 Mrs Gimlett - I agree with all you say. It is obvious that there was no long term planning of series 1 to 4 except for Eleanor Tomlinson and Aidan Turner (and possibly Jack farthing and Heida) being given five-year contracts. Apparently they didn't know from one series to the

next if the BBC would continue with it and clearly there was no thought given to the longer term. Yet it should have been relatively easy to plan for five series which cover the books up to and including The Angry Tide. It could have been a much better set of series had more time been given to each of the books. 

Apparently Damien Timmer of Mammoth Screen began trying to get Aidan Turner to sign an extended contract before series 3 had finished production but clearly failed, so DH must have known then that there would be a maximum of five series. She could, therefore, have produced very different, and possibly much better, scripts, giving all the remaining books better coverage.

For me, this set of series is now over. Goodness knows what will be screened next year but one thing is certain, we shall barely recognise this as being anything to do with WG's Poldark books. 



__________________


Honorary Life Member. Forum Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 874
Date: Sep 30 10:37 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

I have neither read nor heard anything about series 5, other than what is below.

However, if that is correct, I shudder to think what enormities will be committed in the name of Poldark.  WG obviously wanted to move the narrative on so he could develop the younger characters, including in book 8 sufficient hints and anecdotal snippets for the reader to know that the last several years for R&D have been calm, loving and full of normal family life.

For DH to be allowed carte blanche to invent material (her previous off-piste storylines never rang true to period) to cover that 10 year gap seems a dereliction of loyalty to WG.

What will be achieved?  If this is to be the final series, how can there be any satisfactory conclusion?  At the beginning of TSFTS, the Poldark children are just setting out on their life journeys and it sounds as though nothing will be known of how they develop.  Will the last episode end with them all gazing out to sea?  I cannot see how anything could be concluded and we all know how these days, series are meant to have 'an ending'.

There seems no possible reason to fill that gap with an entire series. It would surely have been far better to have ended with Elizabeth's death.  Like so much on TV these days, though, someone comes up with a really good short series, it is well received and then the powers that be go on flogging it to death with ever more weak and unnecessary episodes.

Of course, if the thing had been done more sympathetically and had gone at a more measured pace, we would scarcely have reached book 5 by now!

 



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 569
Date: Sep 29 1:20 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Fijane wrote:

It would make sense if there was to be a Series 6, because there would need to be some sort of bridge across. But they have often said that S5 is the last, so it is possible that they will leave the whole thing with a bad aftertaste. But I am willing to give it a try, and then make sure I tell everyone I know (online and in person) which parts are fabrications.


 Fijane - your plan is a good one. It will be welcomed by book lovers who decide to watch this. Apparently there is a possibility that series 5 will not be the last - just the last for now. Debbie Horsfield and Karen Thrussell have both said it is only the last for now but who knows. It may depend on Aidan Turner's willingness to return to the Ross role. As he seems to have plenty of other work lined up this may be unlikely.



__________________


Undergraduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 255
Date: Sep 29 1:10 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

It would make sense if there was to be a Series 6, because there would need to be some sort of bridge across. But they have often said that S5 is the last, so it is possible that they will leave the whole thing with a bad aftertaste. But I am willing to give it a try, and then make sure I tell everyone I know (online and in person) which parts are fabrications.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 569
Date: Sep 28 8:48 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Little Henry wrote:

I will be watching because of the good scenes that will inevitably be included.  On a positive note about the whole Series, the scene that I love best of the gap flashbacks is when Ross and Jeremy go to Tehidy (Jeremy in his new Christmas outfit and riding his new pony) where Jeremy first gets his passion for steam machines.  Also, in London the family having a ride on the carriage of the "Catch-Me-Who-Can" engine.  If done well those scenes would be delightful.


 Little Henry - continuing your positive post I can say that the pictures I have seen of the filming so far at Charlestown, Gwennap Head and Penberth look very promising. The costumes are superb. I will see if I can post a few when I get some time.



__________________


Initiate

Status: Offline
Posts: 79
Date: Sep 28 12:45 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

I will be watching because of the good scenes that will inevitably be included.  On a positive note about the whole Series, the scene that I love best of the gap flashbacks is when Ross and Jeremy go to Tehidy (Jeremy in his new Christmas outfit and riding his new pony) where Jeremy first gets his passion for steam machines.  Also, in London the family having a ride on the carriage of the "Catch-Me-Who-Can" engine.  If done well those scenes would be delightful.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 569
Date: Sep 27 10:17 PM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Little Henry wrote:

I never minded that there was a gap of 10 years in the books because it was a time of relative peace and contentment for Ross and Demelza.  I think WG moved forward to bring in new characters, older children and more drama as the children would be old enough to have love affairs and adventures of their own.  I never felt R & D were just in the background as they were so close to their children.  When I re-read Stranger From the Sea recently I was especially interested in the flashbacks to the gap years and in my opinion there are not enough for an 8 episode series.  There is little dialogue and Ross' adventures would not have the dramatic impact of his others, such as saving a friend from prison.  Series 5 will be largely made up and cannot be called an adaptation so no matter how good or bad an episode is, it will be an elaborate fan fiction.  Fan fiction is fun for would be writers but I usually end up saying "No, that's not the way it would happen" so I don't read them anymore.  Series 5 is like writing a whole new book and I don't think it is anyone's story to tell except for WG's.  All the books are sub-titled "A Novel of Cornwall" and WG earned the right to write about Cornwall by living there for 30 years.

I really thought that it was an impossible idea to do the gap years for Series 5 but I am slowly coming round to hoping for the best.  I just hope there is not an excess of trauma and drama to ruin my idyllic version of the 10 year gap.  And I wish I had Andrew Graham's trust in DH.


 Little Henry - I think it could work as a series linking The Angry Tide with The Stranger From the Sea but only if there were, say 4 episodes. These episodes could then be linked to material in book 8 which enables the viewer to be aware of significant things that happened in the previous ten years. Eight episodes will have provided DH with opportunities to create her own stories and I agree that there is something wrong about giving her this amount of freedom. Of course she has already got away with dreaming up story lines that were not in the books or that were a corruption of the books. I haven't yet decided whether I shall watch series 5.



__________________


Initiate

Status: Offline
Posts: 79
Date: Sep 27 10:08 PM, 2018
Permalink  
 

I never minded that there was a gap of 10 years in the books because it was a time of relative peace and contentment for Ross and Demelza.  I think WG moved forward to bring in new characters, older children and more drama as the children would be old enough to have love affairs and adventures of their own.  I never felt R & D were just in the background as they were so close to their children.  When I re-read Stranger From the Sea recently I was especially interested in the flashbacks to the gap years and in my opinion there are not enough for an 8 episode series.  There is little dialogue and Ross' adventures would not have the dramatic impact of his others, such as saving a friend from prison.  Series 5 will be largely made up and cannot be called an adaptation so no matter how good or bad an episode is, it will be an elaborate fan fiction.  Fan fiction is fun for would be writers but I usually end up saying "No, that's not the way it would happen" so I don't read them anymore.  Series 5 is like writing a whole new book and I don't think it is anyone's story to tell except for WG's.  All the books are sub-titled "A Novel of Cornwall" and WG earned the right to write about Cornwall by living there for 30 years.

I really thought that it was an impossible idea to do the gap years for Series 5 but I am slowly coming round to hoping for the best.  I just hope there is not an excess of trauma and drama to ruin my idyllic version of the 10 year gap.  And I wish I had Andrew Graham's trust in DH.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Date: Sep 27 5:20 PM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Yes Stella, we will have to wait and see, and I will be watching.

I hope I did not sound too negative too soon, but like you I cannot find the enthusiasm either!

In a way I suppose I would have been happy to forego series five, in the vain hope that in years to come the BBC and actors alike could have returned to the fold. Maybe I am being unrealistic in this, but one can only hope.

I also think that because I loved the books so much, I feel somewhat protective of them.

And I can't help but to admit I was so proud that Poldark originated in word form. I never forget laughing when a journalist hinted at the prospect of a Poldark Christmas special, I said to my friend " What do they think this is?...Downton Abbey?!!" 



-- Edited by Tabetha on Thursday 27th of September 2018 05:22:08 PM

__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 569
Date: Sep 27 9:35 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

Debbie Horsfield sought and obtained permission from Andrew Graham to write series 5 to cover the ten year gap between the end of The Angry Tide in 1799 to the start of The Stranger From the Sea which starts in 1810. She has said she will be drawing on the latter book which looks back, to some extent, on what happened in the ten year gap and also on things that can be inferred. We shan't know exactly what we feel about it until it airs next year but I feel no enthusiasm for it as inevitably some of it at least will be completely DH's imagination.

__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Date: Sep 27 9:10 AM, 2018
Permalink  
 

I'm going to make this short, because I could rant for hours otherwise!

I am horrified that series five is made up for TV. Despite however well Debbie Horsfield has adapted Winston's work so far, and the explanations the BBC are giving to us so far, it will not be Winston's words. 

Poldark can only ever be Winston Graham's work, he is the talented and celebrated author of these novels, I feel it's a betrayal.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.