Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Morwenna Chynoweth


Undergraduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 282
Date: Aug 20 12:01 AM, 2019
RE: Morwenna Chynoweth
Permalink  
 


Yes, I felt a jolt of amazement when I first saw the modern Morwenna holding and cooing over John Conan. It was so illogical, and I think it diminished the impact of her threat, because a non-book viewer would assume that she couldn't do it. But Ossie knew she was deadly serious, hence the prolonged search for the strong-arm nanny.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 666
Date: Aug 15 12:39 PM, 2019
Permalink  
 

Fijane wrote:

Morwenna did not like John Conan from birth, as I remember. This is one of the inaccuracies in the tv series. I don't think she actively hated him until he began to be raised by Ossie's mother, who turned him into a miniature Ossie, but she was indifferent to him as a baby/young child. She certainly didn't fawn over him, and seemed quite relieved that there were nurses to deal with him. The threat to kill him was not a distress to her, and it is possible she would have done it. The hatred of Ossie and his attentions was the greatest emotion she felt, and there was no space for other emotions, such as maternal ones.


 Fijane - I recall the same. Morwenna nearly died giving birth to John Conan. Morwenna had reason to not love the child of the man who was dreadfully cruel to her. Yet Debbie Horsfield changed it apparently because she thought this could not be.



__________________


Undergraduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 282
Date: Aug 15 9:36 AM, 2019
Permalink  
 

Morwenna did not like John Conan from birth, as I remember. This is one of the inaccuracies in the tv series. I don't think she actively hated him until he began to be raised by Ossie's mother, who turned him into a miniature Ossie, but she was indifferent to him as a baby/young child. She certainly didn't fawn over him, and seemed quite relieved that there were nurses to deal with him. The threat to kill him was not a distress to her, and it is possible she would have done it. The hatred of Ossie and his attentions was the greatest emotion she felt, and there was no space for other emotions, such as maternal ones.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date: Aug 12 11:49 PM, 2019
Permalink  
 

 

Stella Poldark wrote:

 Once Ossie died and Morwenna left the vicarage she wanted nothing to do with John Conan. As far as I recall, that did not change even when she began to recover from the trauma of her life with Ossie.


 Thank you Stella. :) 

 

I knew that's how Morwenna were in the books. 

I got confused with the series, showing just how poor Morwenna had to leave her "dear" child with his grandmama. no



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 666
Date: Aug 12 7:34 PM, 2019
Permalink  
 

ModernPoldark wrote:

Hi, can someone tell me how is Morwenna's character in the books over her son John Connan? Because as I can remember she disliked/hated him.

 

She sort of had a panic attack when she saw him at a party in Trenwith.

 

So I don't know if I understood it well.


 Once Ossie died and Morwenna left the vicarage she wanted nothing to do with John Conan. As far as I recall, that did not change even when she began to recover from the trauma of her life with Ossie.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date: Aug 12 7:27 PM, 2019
Permalink  
 

Hi, can someone tell me how is Morwenna's character in the books over her son John Connan? Because as I can remember she disliked/hated him.

 

She sort of had a panic attack when she saw him at a party in Trenwith.

 

So I don't know if I understood it well.



__________________


Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date: Mar 17 3:02 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Char Nanfan wrote:

I always thought Morwenna was one of the saddest characters in the whole poldark saga, along with jinny Carter. Both women never really got over the trauma of their early years and carried with them an inner sadness that became part of their personalities.  


 But I think Jinny not quite so much as Wenna.  Jinny was a little stronger I beloieve, but her situation was a little different.  She had been happy in her marriage to Jim, annd she seemed to have good realtions with both of her children Ben and Katie.  Although I think she failed to tell Katie the facts of life about how babies are made.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 996
Date: Mar 17 9:39 AM, 2012
Permalink  
 

I always thought Morwenna was one of the saddest characters in the whole poldark saga, along with jinny Carter. Both women never really got over the trauma of their early years and carried with them an inner sadness that became part of their personalities.  



__________________


Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date: Mar 15 9:22 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Bella wrote:

Sabrina, I disagree, I don't remember a 'long eee' ......it was 'Wenna' reading.gif

Bella smile.gif


 Well, I see now looking over the vidoes on YouTube that you are right.  My apologies.



__________________


Graduate

Status: Offline
Posts: 723
Date: Mar 15 8:57 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Sabrina, I disagree, I don't remember a 'long eee' ......it was 'Wenna' reading.gif

Bella smile.gif



__________________

 



Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date: Mar 15 3:50 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Namparagirl wrote:

Actually it was 'Wenna' wink


 You're right.  But phonetically, I think it was probably pronounced with the long e sound.



__________________


Honorary life member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1217
Date: Mar 15 3:17 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Actually it was 'Wenna' wink



__________________

Tide was nearly full. Mist lay in a grey scarf along the line of the cliffs.
.. and they walked home hand in hand through the slanting shadows of the new darkness.



Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date: Mar 15 2:55 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

And by the way, her nickname was "Weena"!



__________________


Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 235
Date: Mar 15 1:13 AM, 2012
Permalink  
 

Sabrina wrote:

She was Elizabeth's cousin, hired by her to be a governess for Geoffrey Charles.  She was described in the books as being painfully shy, near-sighted, and also dark-skinned (which was considered a disadvantage then for attracting men, since fair skin, like that of Elizabeth was what was considered most "beautiful"),  however, she had an attractive figure.  Geoffrey Charlles played a huge role in bringing Morwenna and Drake together, as GC also became very fond of Drake.  The three of them would walk along the beach together.


They *should* have run into Demelza, Jeremy, and Garrick on the beach.

__________________


Student

Status: Offline
Posts: 194
Date: Mar 14 7:51 PM, 2012
Permalink  
 

She was Elizabeth's cousin, hired by her to be a governess for Geoffrey Charles.  She was described in the books as being painfully shy, near-sighted, and also dark-skinned (which was considered a disadvantage then for attracting men, since fair skin, like that of Elizabeth was what was considered most "beautiful"),  however, she had an attractive figure.  Geoffrey Charlles played a huge role in bringing Morwenna and Drake together, as GC also became very fond of Drake.  The three of them would walk along the beach together.



__________________


Administration

Status: Offline
Posts: 1814
Date: May 1 2:42 PM, 2011
Permalink  
 

Morwenna Chynoweth.



__________________

"Perfection is a full stop .... Ever the climbing but never the attaining Of the mountain top." W.G.

 

 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.